Ray Hudson's reaction to Lionel Messi netting his 91st goal of 2012 has been labelled the greatest piece of commentary in football history by some fans.
The seven-time Ballon d'Or winner was 25-years-old when he managed to score 91 goals in just 69 games for club and country – a feat that many believe will never be matched.
Messi smashed the previous world record of 85 goals in a calendar year set by Germany legend Gerd Muller in 1972.
And on December 22, the Argentine scored his 91st goal in a La Liga clash against Real Valladolid – a moment commentator Ray Hudson described perfectly. I think this is what you call a 'Messi-gasm'.
Messi's 91st goal of 2012 followed by the commentary: pic.twitter.com/r8EtT98Qh7— Oblivion (@Lionel10Prime) August 11, 2022
After self-confessed fanboy Hudson watched the action unfold before his very eyes, his fellow commentator brought up a statistic about the then-Barcelona forward's achievements.
Hudson couldn't help but interrupt. "It's not the statistics! It's not the statistics!" he said. "You tell me. How do you measure somebody that could balance a balloon in a wind tunnel on a needle. He is capable of that. Astonishing!"
Another comment that fans always pick out is, "E=MC² and the M is for Messi!"
The Argentine would score solo efforts, long-range screamers and perfectly placed headers in that 365-day period, but this goal will live long in the memory for many because of Hudson's unique commentary.
When it comes to describing the genius of Leo Messi, we can often run out of superlatives. But you can always rely on Hudson to produce the goods.
The 67-year-old, a former Newcastle United midfielder in the 70's, is iconic for many things but perhaps most of all is his love for the little magician.
The beiN Sports commentator was certainly complimentary of Messi's performance in El Clasico a couple of seasons ago.
"Centipedes fantasise about having one left leg as good as his. Defenders try to follow him on Facebook and he comes out on Twitter, that's how evasive he is."
Time and time again, Hudson has produced iconic quote after iconic quote about the six-time Ballon d'Or winner.
Here are 20 of his greatest quotes on Lionel Messi, courtesy of Quora:
- "They tell me that all men are equal in the eyes of god but this man seriously makes you think about those words."
- "In the United states, we give hurricanes a name. If they ever call one Lionel Messi, you'd better evacuate, people."
- "Waahhh.. are you kidding me? This man is absolutely mainline to pure footballing magic that belongs in a different galaxy altogether."
- "Welcome to Lionel's world, Where the insane becomes the predictable."
- "I tell you what, if Issac Newton was watching this man, he would be saying boy was i wrong? Astonishing from Lionel. Sweeter than a mother's kiss at bed time."
- "Again.. Where the insane becomes the routine with this man. He is nothing less than a ball whisperer."
- "AAHHH!!!!!.... Excuse me for being excited people, but we've just witnessed a goal that would wake up a catatonic! Astonishing skill that literally takes the breath away. Phenomenal football and there's no answer to that. You can't coach against this. It's pure genius is what it is!"
- "On penalty assist-- He's absolutely shakespearean, The Shakespeare got it wrong. It wasn't King Lear, it's King Leo!"
- "Do you wanna know what pure adrenaline looks like, in the human form? This is what it looks like and it's wearing a number 10 shirt."
- "Lionel Messi, you could drop a tarantula into his shorts and he'll still be cool."
- "It is like...he's playing a tambourine on his knee."
- "He soaks up the defenders like a paper towel soaks up milk."
- "Footballing's bird of paradise is fluffing his feathers beautifully."
- "Angles mean nothing to this man - he could decorate a rose and make it look better."
- "Messi invents passing lanes, he doesn't look for them."
- "He abides in the magnetic spectrum of genius with the ball. Pure footballing magic."
- "Lionel Messi, the nerve of a cat burglar. He's as cool as the seeds inside a cucumber."
- "Arrives like a witch on a broomstick and produces the hocus pocus in front of goal."
- "He arrives like a ghost in the night. There ain't any tracking of him....X-rays couldn't track this guy down."
- "They tell me that all men are equal in God's eyes, this guy makes you seriously think about those words."
Featured Image Credit: Twitter/@Lionel10Prime
- Barcelona Fans Voted Lionel Messi Goal As Greatest Ever In Club's History
- 17 Years Ago Today, Ronaldinho Assisted Lionel Messi's First Goal For Barcelona
- Fan creates epic trailer for Lionel Messi documentary, it's giving goosebumps
- Lionel Messi tops list of 100 best male footballers as Cristiano Ronaldo plummets