To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

"One of my biggest mistakes" - Klopp regrets Liverpool not signing "world-class" striker

Chris Byfield

Published 
| Last updated 

"One of my biggest mistakes" - Klopp regrets Liverpool not signing "world-class" striker

Jurgen Klopp regrets not signing Tottenham’s “world-class” attacker Son Heung-min for Liverpool.

The Reds edged past Tottenham 2-1 at the weekend - a much-needed three points given Jurgen Klopp’s side had lost their previous two league encounters to Premier League strugglers Nottingham Forest and Leeds United.

Liverpool are in eighth place after enduring a torrid start to the season but they are now a more palatable seven points from Spurs in the Champions League places.

Antonio Conte’s Tottenham side have also struggled for form and fitness in recent weeks and had to welcome Liverpool on Sunday without talismanic South Korean international Son.

Advert

Klopp’s “biggest mistake”

Son was injured at the weekend after undergoing surgery on a broken eye socket he sustained in the Champions League win against Marseille last week.

While his absence was a help to Liverpool, Klopp said he hopes to see Son recover before the World Cup later this month.

The Reds boss also confirmed he had made a “mistake” in not signing the wide-man for Liverpool.

Advert

Speaking to KBS News Klopp said: "One of the biggest mistakes in my life was not signing him (Son).

Loading…

"Outstanding, world-class, and one of the best strikers in the world. I heard he’ll be alright. Maybe need to wear a mask, but even with a mask, he’ll be alright.”

Son signed for Spurs from Bayer Leverkusen seven years ago for just £22million and has since gone on to become one of the most devastating attackers in world football.

Advert

Last term the 30-year-old was level at the top of the goalscoring ranks with Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah and the pair shared the Golden Boot.

Son’s World Cup hopes

Conte said he was “confident” that Son would be fit enough to compete at the Qatar World Cup, which kicks off on November 20.

The Spurs manager said: "I sent him a message yesterday after the surgery and Sonny was really, really disappointed about this situation but I hope for him he will recover very well and play in the World Cup.

Advert

"I was a player and I know the importance of playing in the World Cup.

"Tonight he was the first person to play this game, for sure he missed us. I am confident, confident that he can come back quickly and play the World Cup for South Korea."

South Korea's first World Cup fixture is against Uruguay on November 24.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Football, Antonio Conte, Jurgen Klopp, Son Heung Min, Football World Cup, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur

Chris Byfield
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Man City fans think they already have Cancelo's replacement as Pep Guardiola's comments emerge

23 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Fan creates petition for UEFA to investigate Chelsea's spending if they sign Enzo Fernandez

a day ago