The subject of player earnings at Old Trafford has once again become a talking point on social media following United's latest defeat to relegation strugglers Everton.
Ralf Rangnick's dominated possession for large spells at Goodison Park but they struggled to create any meaningful opportunities and were criticised for a lack of effort by some supporters.
In fact, Everton ran 10km more than Manchester United on Saturday afternoon - a stat that highlights how much the Toffees wanted the victory compared to their counterparts.
It has been a disappointing campaign for United all things considered. They splashed the cash to bring in Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund last year, but the talented winger has yet to really make his mark in Manchester.
And in terms of player wages, they handed £2.2 million per month to five-time Ballon d'or winner Cristiano Ronaldo, according to French publication L'Equipe - a sum that equates to £26.4 million per year.
This week our squad of players will earn 40% more than their Manchester City counterparts and 55% more then their Liverpool counterparts.
- aka Larry :flag_ua: (@Cantona_Collars) April 9, 2022
David De Gea is said to rake in £1.6 million every month [£19.2m], teammate Jadon Sancho takes home £1.5 million per month (£18m) and former Real Madrid centre-back Raphael Varane earns £1.3 million a month [£15.6m]
Top 5 earners in the Premier League, per L'Équipe (gross/month):
1 ' Cristiano Ronaldo (Man United) - €2.63m
2 ' Kevin de Bruyne (Man City) - €2.06m
3 ' David de Gea (Man United) - €1.93m
4 ' Jadon Sancho (Man United) - €1.85m
5 ' Raphaël Varane (Man United) - €1.62m
- Get French Football News (@GFFN) March 22, 2022
Paul Pogba, meanwhile, features in the Radio Times' top 10 list in ninth place and reportedly pockets £290,000-a-week.
Interestingly, they suggest Kevin de Bruyne is the Premier League's highest earner above Cristiano Ronaldo, while two other Manchester City players are mentioned.
Here is their top 10 list in full:
10. Thomas Partey (Arsenal) - £250,000 p/w
9. Paul Pogba (Man Utd) - £290,000 p/w
8. N'Golo Kante (Chelsea) - £290,000 p/w
7. Raheem Sterling (Man City) - £300,000 p/w
6. Jack Grealish (Man City) - £300,000 p/w
5. Raphael Varane (Man Utd) - £340,000 p/w
4. Jadon Sancho (Man Utd) - £350,000 p/w
3. David De Gea (Man Utd) - £375,000 p/w
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd) - £385,000 p/w
1. Kevin De Bruyne (Man City) - £385,000 p/w
Thoughts on the player wages at Manchester United? Are they doing enough in the famous red?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
- L'Equipe's List Of Premier League's Top Five Earners Includes Four Manchester United Players
- Salaries at Manchester United to be capped at £200,000-a-week, it's been called 'the Ronaldo rule'
- Only Two Manchester United Players Are Worthy Of The Shirt
- Paul Scholes slams Manchester United for buying Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane